Calum and I booked a long weekend away to London at the start of the year, and I couldn't wait to go! It feels like we only decided to go last week..

We decided to fly down from Edinburgh to cut some time off travelling, but by the time we got to Gatwick, then the shuttle to the south terminal to catch a train and a taxi - we were dead beat. We stayed at a hotel called the Kensington Close Hotel, which is just off Kensington High Street. The place is so posh I genuinely thought we came to the wrong place! There was a man at the door with a top hat and tails to grab our bag from the taxi, then the concierge came to take it to our room. As soon as we went in, Calum noticed the room service menu and he got a little too happy ordering food and drinks. We just chilled in the room the rest of the night and unpacked, to start early the next day.

On the Saturday, we got up early and had breakfast in our hotel which was a buffet. I was impressed they could cater for for my coeliac so I got as much toast as I could! Afterwards, we headed to the high street to catch the tube to Westminster where our adventure truly began. As soon as we walked out the station, Big Ben was in front of us so we took some pictures and walked around towards Westminster Abbey - visiting the Abbey has been on my bucket list for years. I was so overwhelmed inside that I had tears in my eyes. The architecture, art, etc is so beautiful but unfortunately we weren't allowed to take any pictures. It was so breathtakingly big inside, I had no idea there were so many rooms. Walking through history with royalty such as Elizabeth 1st and Mary, Queen of Scots was a dream of mine for many years. Afterwards, we walked back towards the Thames and we went to the Sealife centre. Calum really wanted to go in so we spent an hour or so wondering around. It was huge, it covered three floors and we were allowed to touch some animals. I really wanted to go on the London Eye but the closer I got the more I chickened out! Afterwards, it was such a lovely hot day, we decided to walk along James Park to Buckingham Palace. I don't think we realised how much of a walk it was, but it was lovely to walk past the blossom trees and to stop to look at the wildlife. We got to Buckingham Palace and the Victoria Memorial and took some more pictures. I decided to cross the road and I stupidly fell! I got up real quickly out of embarrassment but I really hurt my foot and ended up crying a little but luckily Calum calmed me down. Even though I now had a limp, we walked down Pall Mall to the nearest tube station to visit China Town. We ended up going to M&M World first which was insane, then wondered through China Towns streets. After the six plus hours of walking, headed back to the hotel to get changed, then headed back to China Town for an amazing Chinese meal.

We woke up early again on the Sunday as Calum got a Chelsea stadium tour experience for Christmas which we booked for 10am. I'm not a massive football fan but seeing Calum's eyes light up and how happy he was made me happy. We spent an hour wondering around learning new and old things about Chelsea. Afterwards, we headed back on the tube towards London Bridge so we could get a lovely photo of Tower Bridge. We saw that the Borough Market was there but it was closed! I was so gutted as a lot of people told me how good it was, but Calum suggested we should go for some lunch at a nearby pub instead so we went to the Kings Head. There were still a couple things we wanted to do in London before we came home, so we went off to see Wimbledon. A lovely lady took us to centre court which was amazing and we wondered around the museum before it closed. It was nearly dinner time and we were getting pretty tired, so we headed back to the hotel to rest. We decided to go to a place just off Kensington High Street called Sticky Fingers for dinner, which is owned by one of the Rolling Stones. The dinner was amazing and we even had a couple drinks to wash it down! I don't know why, but after we left we decided to use the hotels pool and spa just to chill and unwind before our day of travelling the next day.

On our last day, we decided not to go too far as we had a pretty lazy morning so didn't have lots of time. I really wanted to go to Brandy Melville as we don't have one in Scotland and I don't really like buying things online, so we headed to the high street in Chelsea for a bit of shopping. Afterwards, we just headed to the hotel, grabbed our bag and headed to the airport. We had a quick dinner and a shop around duty free before we headed on the plane bound for Edinbhrgh. We literally just crashed when we got back to my place!

We both had the Tuesday off, as it was our second anniversary together. As we were still pretty tired and sore from London, we decided to drive to the Forth Road Bridge to add our love lock on. It was pretty drizzly walking along but we literally walked as fast as we could there and back. When Calum and I got back to my house, we just chilled the rest of the day before we went to La Favourita for dinner.

I don't think I'd rush back to London in a hurry as I didn't realise how expensive it is! But I suppose that was our holiday for the year as we are saving up. And I also can't believe I have been with Calum for two years! I can't wait for another lovely year with him. 

Big Ben and the top of the London Eye

Big Ben

Buckingham Palace gates

Buckingham Palace 

 Centre court at Wimbledon

The Chelsea Stadium 

London Eye from the Thames

Big Ben and the Parliament 

Tower Bridge from London Bridge 

The tube

Us on the Chelsea tour

The Victoria Monument

Westminster Abbey

Our love lock on the Forth Road Bridge

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished